Many of us know how wonderful it feels to receive a massage from a licensed therapist, yet we often overlook the true, long-lasting benefits of a good massage. In 2010, studies done by researchers from Cedar-Sinai Medical Center, led by Dr. Mark Rapaport, showed that a single massage can produce significant changes in the health of the immune system and endocrine system.
This, along with numerous other studies, indicates that there is more to massage therapy than just feeling good; it holds actual scientific and medical credibility, which stems from the body’s heightened immune response to massage treatment. Massage therapy can benefit you by:
- Increasing your body’s “natural killer cells,” the immune system’s first line of defense against invading sickness
- Decreasing stiffness and discomfort, especially from injury
- Reducing levels of the stress hormone cortisol
- Boosting feel-good hormones serotonin and dopamine
- Controlling blood pressure
- Lessening the effects of stress, anxiety and depression
- Decreasing pain by blocking your nervous system’s pain receptors
- Easing symptoms of migraines, mood swings, labor pain, premenstrual syndrome (PMS), cancer, carpal tunnel, fibromyalgia, and multiple sclerosis
- Encouraging better sleep by increasing the brain waves associated with deep sleep (delta waves)
- Boosting alertness and improving attention span
- Improving circulation of bodily fluids like blood and lymph
- Encouraging less aggressive behavior by reducing levels of the hormone arginine vasopressin
At CNY Healing Arts, we offer customized massage treatment, Maya Abdominal Massage, prenatal massage, Reiki treatment for reproductive health, and much more. To learn more about us, including our team of Licensed Massage Therapists (LMT), check out our staff by location: Syracuse, Rochester, or Albany.