Our CNY Healing Art Centers in Syracuse and Rochester New York specialize in Hot Stone Massage services! Our massage therapists create a warm and relaxing environment for the ultimate self-love treatment. If you are looking for a deep relaxation massage and need time to unwind and let your muscles relax, then hot stone massage is for you!
The price of a Hot Stone massage varies per location.
Syracuse: $150/90 minute Hot Stone Massage
Rochester: $125/ 80 minute Hot Stone Massage
To learn more about the benefits of a Hot Stone massage, read on!
- Smooth stones are heated and placed on the skin
- The stones are used as an extension of the therapists hand
- A typical Hot Stone massage is 1 hour to 90 minutes
- Hot Stone massage is great for deep relaxation, anxiety and depression relief, aid in loosening stiff muscles
What is a Hot Stone Massage
A Hot Stone Massage is a type of massage where smooth stones are heated and used as an extension of the massage therapists’ hands to massage. The warmed stones promote deep relaxation and are useful in breaking up dense tissue causing muscle pain. The use of the stones and heat is to warm the muscles causing them to relax. When the muscles are relaxed, the massage therapist is able to apply deeper pressure without causing the client discomfort.
The stones used are typically made of basalt since basalt retains heat. Basalt is a type of volcanic rock. The stones, also referred to as “River Rocks”, are smooth due to the river current. The stones are heated to a temperature between 110 degrees F and 130 degrees F in a professional grade stone heater. Your massage therapist may choose to either lay stones on certain points of your body or hold them in their hands to aide in relaxation and the kneading process of a typical Swedish massage.
Body points stones may be placed on include:
- Arch of Foot
The use of the stones as an extension of the therapist’s hands helps with circular movements, tapping, vibrations and kneading techniques.
Depending on your massage therapist, a cold stone may also be used at times during your massage. Cold stones are said to calm and large blood vessels and soothe the skin.
Benefits of Hot Stone
- Overall relaxation
- Relaxation of muscles
- Improved sleep
- Helps relieve depression and anxiety symptoms
What to expect
During a Hot Stone massage, you can expect the stones to be used throughout the entire massage. If the therapist is not using the stones in their hands to massage, they will place the stones on parts of the body such as down the spine, on the feet, stomach or legs. Depending on each individual’s health history and areas of tension, the therapist will determine where to place stones. The stones will vary in size and weight. Your therapist will test the stone’s heat on themselves first then on you before placing it completely on your skin. Sometime stones will be placed directly on the skin, other times there will be a sheet or towel barrier between you and the stone. Oils will be used on the body so stones can move easily on the skin. The massage therapist will cup the stones in their hands and glide them along the body in circular motions and along the muscles. A Hot Stone massage can be a Swedish, relaxation massage or the stones can be used to get into deeper muscle groups.
A Hot Stone massage is typically a longer treatment from 1 hour to 90 minutes.
Anyone can benefit from a Hot Stone Massage. If you are someone looking for deep relaxation and love the warmth of a massage bed, this is the treatment for you!
Who shouldn’t get a Hot Stone massage?
Pregnant women should avoid a Hot Stone massage.
If you are a person who does not like a heated massage bed or heat in general, we would recommend a different treatment as you will become warmer during a Hot Stone massage than a regular, custom massage.
Risks and Warnings
- Since the stones are heated, there is always a chance of getting burned. Your massage therapist will test the temperature of the stones prior to placing it on your skin. If the stone is too hot, let your therapist know immediately to avoid any discomfort.
- Stones should never be warmed in microwaves, ovens, hot plates, or slow cookers. A Stone warmer, made specifically for heating stone is best to avoid burns.
- This is not typically a painful treatment. As with any massage, if the work is too deep, causing you discomfort, let the therapist know immediately.
- It is always best to check with your doctor if you have any medical conditions such as high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease, varicose veins, decreased pain sensitivity, epilepsy, tumors, or metal implants before receiving a Hot Stone Massage. If you have inflamed skin, sunburns or open wounds, it is best to avoid Hot Stone massage until those are cleared up to avoid irritations.
- Make sure to be hydrated the day of your massage. Massage releases toxins in the body from breaking up knots and muscles. It is important to have enough water before but also to drink plenty afterward.
- Like any massage appointment, make sure to disclose all health history details with your massage therapist prior to treatment
Hot Stone Massage at CNY Healing Arts in Syracuse and Rochester, NY
In Syracuse and Rochester NY, CNY Healing Arts has trained massage therapists that specialize in Hot Stone massage. You will feel calm and relaxed as soon as you walk in the door. You’ll hear calming music and be greeted by our friendly front desk staff. Once in the doors, you have the option of wearing one of our plush CNY robes while you wait for your treatment. We offer complimentary tea, coffee and water, so make sure you stay hydrated! Your massage therapist will begin your session by asking about any injuries or health concerns. Then you will get comfortable on the table and your relaxation will begin! At CNY, our Hot Stone massages are 90 minutes. This hour and a half treatment will give the perfect amount of time to unwind in the warmth.
Price in Syracuse:
90 minute Hot Stone Massage $150
Price in Rochester:
90 minute Hot Stone massage $125