Meditation is a means of transforming the mind. It helps create a temporary state where mind and physical body are on the back burner. While in this state, one’s inner self is able to come into full focus. This self-awareness allows the individual to maximize focus and the healing powers of meditation.
The physiological effects of meditation can even permit total healing of the mind. During meditation, serotonin production can increase, influencing one’s mood and behavior. Low levels of serotonin are related to depression, insomnia, migraines, and even obesity.
Taking a step back in history, it is said that Siddhartha Gautama, more popularly know as The Buddha, achieved enlightenment while meditating under a Bodhi Tree. Hereafter, he returned to the world, founded Buddhism, and began teaching the monastic way of life.
Today this ancient form of art and science is widely recognized as medicinal by doctors and healers alike. There is no denying it; the effects of concentrated thought, or lack of thought, are both real and scientifically proven. With a daily practice of meditation, you can be on your way to restoring calm and inner peace to your life.
Health Benefits of Meditation:
Daily meditation, no matter what kind, can improve your health in both body and mind, as well as provide balance to your life. While stress relief remains the primary benefit, the effects of reducing stress levels are near endless. We at CNY Healing Arts encourage you to make meditation your daily practice and experience these improvements in your health firsthand. When performed correctly, meditation can:
- Reduce blood pressure
- Increase blood flow and slow heart rate
- Lower metabolism
- Treat mild hypertension
- Enhance the immune system
- Aid in post-operative healing
- Improve chronic diseases like arthritis, allergies, etc.
- Increase exercise tolerance in heart patients
- Helps reduce tissue damage from free radicals
- Reduce symptoms from PMS
- Improve anti-social tendencies
- Treat respiratory disorders
- Lower cholesterol levels
- Calm the brain
- Strengthen connections between different regions of the brain
- Relieve pain and stress
- Boost self-confidence and self-image
- Develop total brain functioning
- Resolve deep fears and phobias
- Decrease the negative effects of stress, anxiety and mild depression
- Open creative gateways
- Increase attention span and concentration
- Develop a healthy, innovative, peaceful individual