“I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.” -John Burroughs
If you have ever sat by the water’s edge and heard the waves gently crashing over the rocks, saw a stone sparkling on the bottom of a creek, or have ever held a smooth stone in your hand, you have experienced the energy of those stones. A massage using hot stones brings that same energy and healing powers to your body and mind.
Basalt rocks are used most often for these massages due to their smooth surface, and because they are non-porous and retain heat well. After the stones are heated, the massage therapist places the smooth, warm stones along the spine which relax the muscles. Sometimes oils are used to help the stones slide across the skin surface so that the therapist can apply pressure to the stones as needed.
The therapist will always make sure that the rocks are at a temperature that is comfortable for you before beginning the massage. The stones allow for greater intensity during the massage, which lends to a deeper, kneading feeling.
Some of the benefits of hot stone massage:
- Expand blood vessels which improves circulation of the blood
- Helps to aid in releasing of toxins with the application of heat
- Relaxes muscles and decreases muscle spasms, and soothes aches (especially good for backaches)
- Increases joint movement and helps with pain associated with arthritis
- Relieves stress, anxiety, depression
- Helps with sleep problems and recommended for people with insomnia
- Lymphatic drainage and cleansing
- Decongestion of the liver
- Chronic pain conditions such as Fibromyalgia
- Relaxes colon for better elimination
The powerful, healing action of hot stone massage can be a source of huge relief for people suffering congestion either due to allergies, colds, or sinus problems. The stones can be used on the forehead, cheeks, eyelids, chin to help relieve any sort of facial pain as well.
For more information on hot stone massage, call the CNY Healing Arts Center nearest you today! Please be aware that not all services are available at all locations.
195 Intrepid Lane, Syracuse, NY 13205
38A Old Sparrowbush Road, Latham, NY 12110
2244 East Avenue, Rochester, NY 14610
585.244.1280 ext. 2