Locals have been spreading the word about the yoga classes at CNY Healing Arts in Rochester. What makes these classes different from classes at other studios? There is more to yoga than moving your body around in bendy positions and chanting “Om”. The word yoga translates to “union, or yoking together” and is thought to bring the mind, body and soul together into peace and bliss. The best place to start your journey is to attend group classes at CNY Healing Arts in Rochester. You will learn the proper way to move through poses (or asana) ways to deepen your breath (pranayama) and you will also hear about the other 6-limbs associated with a yoga practice.
The Eight Limbs of yoga are a series of steps which purify the body and mind, ultimately leading the yogi to enlightenment. These eight steps act as guidelines on how to live a meaningful and purposeful life. They serve as a prescription for moral and ethical conduct and self-discipline; they direct attention toward one’s health; and they help us to acknowledge the spiritual aspects of our nature.
- Yamas – guidelines for how we act with the outer world, external restraints ▪ Ahimsa – non-violence toward yourself or others ▪ Satya – truthfulness ▪ Brahmacharya – moderation ▪ Asteya – non-stealing ▪ Aparigraha -non-covetousness
- Niyamas – internal guidelines ▪ Saucha – internal and external cleanliness, purity. ▪ Santosha – contentment ▪ Tapas – austerity ▪ Swadhyaya – study of the sacred texts ▪ Ishwara Pranidhana – living with an awareness of the divine
- Asanas – Postures
- Pranayama – regulation or control of the breath.
- Pratyahara – withdrawal of the senses in order to still the mind.
- Dharana – concentration.
- Dhyana – meditation
- Samadhi – the superconscious state. In Samadhi non-duality or oneness is experienced.
Visit this wikipedia link to learn all about Yoga: history, practices and traditions.
By Christa Tyson, RYT and Birth Doula,
Yoga Instructor at CNY Healing Arts in Rochester
Yoga classes at CNY Healing Arts in Rochester:
Mon 6:15-7:30pm, Wed 5-6:15pm, Sat 10:15-11:30am
All Levels Yoga: Mon 5:00-6:00pm, Wed 6:30-7:45pm
Baby and Parent Yoga: Sat 9:00-10:00am
Yoga for Fertility: Thursday 6-8:00pm
CNY Healing Arts: Indoor and Outdoor Yoga Studios
2244 East Ave, Rochester NY 14610